vrijdag 9 december 2011

"import" vmx file in VirtualBox

I prefer to use Virtualbox over vmware but received a vmware image consisting of vmx and vmdk files. I managed to get a Win2000 vmx image up and running in Virtualbox 4.1.6
Before the import I removed the vmwaretools. This was mentioned as a prerequisite. I used VMware player to startup the vmx and did an uninstall of vmwaretools

BTW ovftool from vmware could not convert the vmx file to ovf: complaining about unsupported hardware so I left this path and did the following:

from http://dietrichschroff.blogspot.com/2008/10/using-vmware-images-with-virtualbox.html I used the tip to replace all scsi references in the vmx file to ide using notepad. In the vmdk there was no reference to lsilogic so I left these untouched.
Created a new VM in Virtualbox and choose use existing disk and pointed it to the vmdk files.
I had to tick enable IO APIC



It booted fine and found several new hardware and after the usual reboot I installed the Virtualbox Guest additions and it is working fine.


2 opmerkingen: